The 40th Annual
Sunday, March 4th, 2018
- 8:45AM: 10M Run, 10K Run
- 9:00AM:5K Run/Walk, and 2 Mile Walk-only
- 10:45: Youth "Funner to be a Runner" races start
- 2017 Results
- Register online
- Download an entry form
- Register for the free kids run, the Funner To Be a Runner
Welcome to the 2018 edition of the Pueblo Chieftain Spring Runoff, 10 Mile, 10K, 5K, Walk (distance of the walk to be determined), 1 Mile Fun Run and 50 yard toddler dash to be held in Pueblo, CO on Sunday, March 4, 2018 . Online race registration will open in December, 2017 at runsignup.com. The run courses will be similar or the same as 2017. We may change the walk course to ease congestion on the River Trail. The distance for the walk is yet to be determined.
Sunday, March 4, 2018
All Adult races start in the Parking lot of Dutch Clark Stadium, 1001 W Abriendo Ave, and finish on the track inside Dutch Clark.
8:45 AM 10M/10K
9:00 AM 5K and Walk
10:45 AM FREE 50 Yard Toddler Run on the track
10:45 AM FREE 1 mile free Youth run/ Funner to be a Runner--Begins/ ends on the track
Dutch Clark Stadium
1001 W Abriendo Ave Pueblo, CO US 81004
Registration and Fees to be announced in December 2017
Information below is from the 2017 race; 2018 information will be updated shortly
The SOUTHERN COLORADO RUNNERS of PUEBLO, COLORADO welcomes you to the 39th Annual running of the Pueblo Chieftain Spring Runoff 10-mile, 10K and 5K Run/Walk or 3M Walk. Join us for the 2017 edition of Pueblo’s oldest and largest running event. Since 1978, Pueblo and Southern Colorado’s leading newspaper, the Pueblo Chieftain, has supported and sponsored this early springtime road race.
We have something for everyone. This year we are offering 4 adult events, 10 mile and 10K runs, a 5K run/ walk and a 3M walk only--no running permitted in this one. In addition we have two youth/toddler events, a 50 yard dash for toddlers and a 1.2 mile youth run for Kindergarten up to the 8th grade, the Funner to be a Runner.
New this year, all paid entrants receive a beautiful, long-sleeve, HOODED, unisex, tech shirt with 2 color logo from XS to XXL.
Don’t miss out, plan now to join us on Sunday, March 5, 2017, 8:45 (10M and 10K) and 9 am (5K Run & 3M Walk) for Pueblo’s Premier running event. Visit the Pueblo Spring Runoff Facebook Page for the latest updates.
Registration is now open. Click Here to register
COURSES: (10M and 10K begin at 8:45 and 5K Run and 3M walk begin at 9:00 AM)
All races begin and end in Dutch Clark Stadium, one of the nicest high school stadiums in the state. Watch yourself finish on the big screen inside Dutch Clark Stadium. We love dogs, BUT no dogs are allowed inside Dutch Clark, sorry.
10 Mile: 8:45 AM The 10-mile course is flat and beautiful, which takes runners from Dutch Clark Stadium, through the Aberdeen neighborhood, around Pueblo City Park, to the scenic Arkansas River trail, then turn around about a 1/4 mile west of the Pueblo Nature Center and head back to finish, on the track, inside Dutch Clark Stadium, There is a 2.5 hour time limit for the 10-mile run. If you can’t finish in 2.5 hours, please consider a shorter race. For the 2017 10 mile course click HERE.
10K Run: 8:45AM After a one year absence, the 10K is returning with a new course. The 10K will start at the same time as the 10 mile and will run together for about 4 miles, then turn and return on the river trail back to Dutch Clark Stadium. For the 2017 10K course click HERE. The turn around is about 1/2 mile west of where Reservoir Drive meets the River Trail. 10K runners will turn and return to Dutch Clark Stadium on the River Trail, finishing inside Dutch Clark Stadium
5K Run: 9:00AMThe 5K course is flat and fast. It runs on the 10 mile course for approximately 1.2 miles then turns and heads toward the Arkansas River Trail System and joins the trail at about 1.6 miles. It then runs downriver (downhill) back to Dutch Clark Stadium and finishes on the track inside the stadium. We have made a slight change to the course. For a revised 5K Run map click HERE.
3 Mile WALK: 9:00AM The 3M walk is for WALKERS ONLY, No running allowed! If you would like to run and walk, please enter the 5K run. Walkers will begin at the same time as the 5K runners (9 AM) and will follow the same course as the running 5K, walking through the streets of Aberdeen and returning on the River Trail. At the start line, we ask walkers to line up behind the 5K runners. For the 2017 3 mile walk course, click HERE.
- Spring Run Off ONLINE registration open now. Click here to register
- There will be NO race day registration for the adult races--Registrations will be accepted through packet pick up times although we only guarantee race day shirts for those registered by February 18. If you register after Feb 18 you will still get a shirt but we may have to re-order, so you may not get a shirt on race day.
- Funner to be a Runner (free youth runs) For more information or to register click HERE. (opens January 1st through March 4th at 2 pm - bibs must be picked up race day morning to count for school competition)
Entry Fee is the same for ALL runs and walk
- $25 (SCR members $20) through February 18 (with unisex long sleeve HOODED tech shirt) Youth age 18 & under pay just $15 until Feb 18 (includes shirt)
- $30 for all from Feb 19 – Mar 1 (with unisex LS HOODED tech shirt)
- $35 from Mar 2 – 3PM Mar 4 (with unisex LS HOODED tech shirt)
- To register click HERE.
PACKET PICK UP: Beat the lines on race day morning, early pick-up of your shirt and bib will be held at the Gold Dust Saloon, 217 S Union Ave, Pueblo, Co. We DON’T recommend waiting until race day to pick up your packet, as that’s when most out of towners will be getting their packets. You may still register in person at the Gold Dust during packet pick up hours, however, cash or check only at the Gold Dust, no credit cards.
- Friday, March 3: 4:00 to 7:00 pm
- Saturday, March 4: 11:00 am to 3:00 pm (no race registrations after 3 pm!)
- Race Day, Sunday, March 5, Dutch Clark Stadium on race morning starting at 7:15 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. There will be NO race day registration!
Timing Chip: Your race bib will include a disposable timing chip on the back of the bib. Do not bend or remove the timing chip. Pin your bib to the FRONT of your body, on you top layer of clothing. If you cover it, it may not be read as you cross the mat at the finish line. DO NOT put your bib under your jacket as the chip may not be read! Please make sure your bib is visible on the FRONT of your body. Do not forget your bib! If you don’t have a bib and chip you will not receive a time. No BIB, No Time. We do not have timing mats at the start, therefore your time starts when the gun goes off. Age group placing's are determined by "Gun Time".
Shirts: Those who register by February 18th will receive a long sleeve, hooded, pull over, tech shirt with 2 color logo on raceday. Those who register after Feb 18 may not receive a shirt race day. unisex size shirts are offered, from XS,S,M,L, and XL, so select your size accordingly. There will be no exchanges of shirt size unless we have leftover shirts, check with us after the race. The free youth races do not get shirts.
- Overall awards will be given to Overall Male/Female winners in the 10M, 10K, 5K and Walking race. Overall winners will not be eligible for age group awards
- Custom Medals will be awarded to the top three age group finishers in the 10-mile, 10K and 5-km running races as well as the 3M walk in the following divisions: 12 and under, 13-15, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, and 70 and over, based on your age on Raceday. Those registered in the 3M WALK event MAY NOT RUN at any time on the course or they will be disqualified and will not be eligible for an award. If you would like to run and walk, please enter the 5K run.
- Results: Results will be posted at Dutch Clark Stadium immediately following the race and on the Southern Colorado Runners webpage. Awards will be distributed inside Dutch Clark Stadium after the race. Age division placers must pick up their awards at the race. No awards will be mailed.
Water Stops: 6 water stops for the 10-mile course, including Gatorade at the Nature Center; 4 water stops for the 10K and 1 water stop for the 5-km run and walk course.
DIRECTIONS: all events start and end at Dutch Clark Stadium 1001 W Abriendo Ave, Pueblo, CO
- From southbound I-25: Exit 99A, west on 6th St (4 blocks) to Grand. South (left) on Grand (2 blocks) to 4th St. West (right) on 4th St (1.1 miles) to Abriendo Ave. Northwest (right) on Abriendo Ave (approx .3 miles) to Dutch Clark Stadium. Dutch Clark Stadium is on your right side.
- From northbound I-25: Exit 97B, west on Abriendo to Dutch Clark Stadium on your right after crossing 4th St.
WEATHER: The location of Pueblo makes the area an ideal place for anyone wanting to live in the beautiful state of Colorado. The citizens of the county also enjoy relatively low humidity and sunny days for about 75% of the year. Pueblo is located in the "banana belt" of Colorado, when other areas experience snow, many times Pueblo remains dry. Weather in March in Colorado is unpredictable. In the event of snow, Parks and Rec will plow the river trail but we can’t guarantee solid footing throughout. Check the weather forecast, come prepared for snow, ice and cold, then be pleasantly surprised by the great weather we have in Pueblo in March. We will run the race regardless of the weather but we reserve the right to shorten the 10 miler or alter the course, if necessary. We will do our best to provide a quality and safe run! Please remember, the race will be held, regardless of weather and there are no refunds. No animals or strollers are allowed for safety and insurance reasons. Headphones are discouraged but not banned.
NOTE: We will be taking some amateur/ non professional photos race day. Feel free to visit our Facebook page after the race and keep any pictures you may like. Watch for our photographer before the race and get a free photo with your family or friends. Hopefully, we’ll get a photo of you. Smile .
The four Spring Run Off races combined with the Funner To Be A Runner and toddler dash annually attract about 1500 participants making this the largest running event in Pueblo. The guiding principle of the Southern Colorado Runners Club and the Spring Runoff event management team is to provide the participant an accurate course and time along with the best running experience possible. Our goal is to offer a quality race at a reasonable cost. A portion of your entry fee will be used to support Pueblo High School and Middle School Cross Country Teams and other local youth groups.