The 38th Annual
Sunday, March 6th 2016
9:00 am: 10 mile run, 5 km run and 3-mile walk
10:45: Youth "Funner to be a Runner" races start
The SOUTHERN COLORADO RUNNERS of PUEBLO, COLORADO welcomes you to the 38th Annual running of the Pueblo Chieftain Spring Runoff 10-mile/ 5-Km Run or 3 mile walk. Join us for the 2016 edition of Pueblo’s oldest and largest running event. Since 1978, Pueblo and Southern Colorado’s leading newspaper, the Pueblo Chieftain, has supported and sponsored this early springtime road race.
We have something for everyone. This year we are offering 3 adult events, a 10 mile run, a 5K run and a 3 mile walk. In addition we have two youth/toddler events, a 50 yard dash for toddlers and a 1.2 mile youth run for Kindergarten and up, the Funner to be a Runner.
New for 2016--All paid entrants receive a beautiful, long-sleeve, half-zip tech shirt with 2 color logo and a FREE RACEDAY Photo from Volk Photography.
Don’t miss out, plan now to join us on Sunday, March 6, 2016, 9 am for Pueblo’s Premier running event and visit the Pueblo Spring Runoff Facebook Page for the latest updates.
COURSES: (All adult races begin at 9:00 AM)
10-mile: The new 10-mile course is a flat and beautiful run, which takes runners from Dutch Clark Stadium, through city streets, around Pueblo City Park, to the scenic Arkansas River trail, turn around at the Pueblo Nature Center and head back to finish, on the track, inside the newly renovated Dutch Clark Stadium, one of the nicest high school stadiums in the state. There is a 2.5 hour time limit for the 10-mile run. If you can’t finish in 2.5 hours, please consider a shorter race. (Updated map coming soon)
5-km run: The 5K course is flat and fast. It runs with the 10 milers for approximately 1.25 miles then heads toward the Arkansas River and joins the trail at about 1.75 miles. It then runs downriver (downhill) to Dutch Clark Stadium and finishes on the track inside the stadium. (Updated map coming soon)
WALK: The 3 mile walk is for WALKERS ONLY, No running allowed! If you would like to run and walk, please enter the 5K run. Walkers will begin at the same time as the runners. 9:00 AM but will immediately head to the Arkansas River Trail and head east, to just beyond Pillar Park, then return to Dutch Clark Stadium and finish on the track inside the Stadium
- Spring Run Off ONLINE registration (opens January 1st through March 2 at midnight)
- Funner to be a Runner (free youth runs) ONLINE registration (opens January 1st through March 5th at 2 pm - bibs must be picked up race day morning to count for school competition)
- Mail in, pick up or drop off: entry form at the Pueblo Chieftain: P.O. Box 36, Pueblo, CO 81002 or at 825 W. 6th Street. Mailed entries must be postmarked by Saturday, Feb 27.
- There will be NO race day registration but registrations will be accepted through packet pick up times although we only guarantee race day shirts for those registered by February 14th.
- Early --Jan 1– Feb 14 at midnight: $25 Adults ($20 for SCR members), $15 for 18 & under
- General -- Feb 15-Mar 2 at midnight: $35 for all
- Late-- March 3,4,5 at packet pick up: $45
- NO RACEDAY REGISTRATION!!
PACKET PICK UP: Beat the lines on race day morning, early pick-up of your shirt and bib will be held at the Sports Authority at the Pueblo Mall, 3325 Dillon Dr, Pueblo, CO 81008 on the following days and times. We DON’T recommend waiting until race day to pick up your packet, as that’s when most out of towners will be getting their packets.
- Thursday, March 3: 4:00 to 7:00 pm
- Friday, March 4: 4:00 to 7:00 pm
- Saturday, March 5: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm (no race registrations after 2 pm!)
- Dutch Clark Stadium on race morning starting at 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. There will be NO race day registration!
Timing Chip: Your race bib will include a disposable timing chip on the back of the bib. Do not bend or remove the timing chip. Pin your bib to the FRONT of your body to insure the chip is read as you cross the mat at the finish line. DO NOT put your bib under your jacket as the chip may not be read! Please make sure your bib is visible on the FRONT of your body. Do not forget your bib! If you don’t have a bib and chip you will not receive a time. No BIB, No Time.
Shirts: Those who register by February 14th will receive a long sleeve, half-zip, tech shirt with 2 color logo on raceday. Those who register after Feb 14 may not receive a shirt raceday. Men and women sizes are offered, so select your size accordingly. There will be no exchanges of shirt size unless we have leftover shirts, check with us after the race. The free youth races do not get shirts.
- Medals will be awarded to the top three age group winners in the 10-mile and 5-km running races and the adult walk in the following divisions: 12 and under, 13-19, 20-24, 25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, and 70 and over, based on your age on Raceday. Those registered in the WALK event MAY NOT RUN at any time on the course or they will be disqualified and will not be eligible for an award. If you would like to run and walk, please enter the 5-km run.
- Results: Results will be posted at Dutch Clark Stadium immediately following the race and on the Southern Colorado Runners webpage. Awards will be distributed inside Dutch Clark Stadium after the race. Age division placers must pick up their awards at the race. No awards will be mailed.
- Overall awards will be given to Overall Male/Female winners in the 10M, 5K and Walking race. Overall winners will not be eligible for age group awards.
Water Stops: 5 water stops for the 10-mile course, including Gatorade at the Nature Center; 1 water stop for the 5-km course, and 2 along the walk course.
DIRECTIONS: all events start and end at Dutch Clark Stadium 1050 W Abriendo Ave, Pueblo, CO
- From southbound I-25: Exit 99A, west on 6th St (4 blocks) to Grand. South (left) on Grand (2 blocks) to 4th St. West (right) on 4th St (1.1 miles) to Abriendo Ave. Northwest (right) on Abriendo Ave (approx .3 miles) to Dutch Clark Stadium. Dutch Clark Stadium is on your right side.
- From northbound I-25: Exit 97B, west on Abriendo to Dutch Clark Stadium on your right after crossing 4th St.
WEATHER: The geographical location of Pueblo County makes the area an ideal place for anyone wanting to live in the beautiful state of Colorado, but also desires a climate that has relatively mild winters and summers. The citizens of the county also enjoy relatively low humidity and sunny days for about 75% of the year. Pueblo is located in the "banana belt" of Colorado, when other areas experience snow, many times Pueblo remains dry. However, as the Boy Scouts say, “Be Prepared”. Weather in March in Colorado is unpredictable. In the event of snow, Parks and Rec will plow the river trail but we can’t guarantee solid footing throughout. Check the weather forecast, come prepared for snow, ice and cold, then be pleasantly surprised by the great weather we have in Pueblo in March. We will run the race regardless of the weather but we reserve the right to shorten the 10 miler if necessary. We will do our best to provide a quality run! Please remember, the race will be held, regardless of weather and there are no refunds. No animals or strollers are allowed for safety and insurance reasons. Headphones are discouraged but not banned.
PHOTOS: New this year all finishers will receive a complimentary digital photo, courtesy of the Southern Colorado Runners and Volk Photography. Smile!!
The three Spring Run Off races combined with the Funner To Be A Runner kids races annually attract about 1500 participants making this the largest running event in Pueblo. The guiding principle of the Southern Colorado Runners Club and the Spring Runoff event management team is to provide the participant an accurate course and time along with the best running experience possible. Our goal is to offer a quality race at a reasonable cost. A portion of your entry fee will be used to support Pueblo High School and Middle School Cross Country.